Honey Press

Honey Press

We built a honey press so we can more easily get the honey out of the buckets of comb we have from the bee removals. We used a stainless steel pot and nesting colander for the pressing chamber and a big threaded rod and nut welded to a frame to push down the metal plunger. We have about 2 gallons of honey on tap right now in a lemonade dispenser.

Andy learning to weld

The opening for the honey to flow out of

Filling the colander with comb…

The first press!

Honey pourin’ like waterfalls

Shopping Bike

Shopping Bike

Combining the old shopping cart left at the house and a crappy bike on hand, I present: The Shopping Bike.

I started building it thinking that if I kept the front end the same height as the original bike, it would handle similarly. However, after constructing it so and taking it for a test spin, I realized that that was false. Every time you turned, the front end would not lean (due to there being two wheels). This caused the back end to be forced into a lean in the opposite direction because of the head tube angle. This made it almost impossible to ride because the bike constantly wanted to throw you off and flip.

From here, I decided I either needed a vertical head tube angle or even a negative one to make the back end have no lean or lean in to the turn. What you see above is the final bike but here are photos of it before I adjusted the head tube angle.

Adjusted head tube angle. It was a pain to do this…

Handlebars as reinforcement.

After the adjustment of the head tube, it rode a lot better but still not really great. You can’t stand up to pedal and still have to be cautious in the turns. I think I am done working on it but any future trikes I make with the 2 wheels in the front will definitely have some negative head tube angle. Something else I will try with this one is putting on smaller front wheels. This will effectively make the head tube angle go negative a bit and should help the handling just enough more to make it enjoyable. Time to go get groceries!

Recumbent Cargo Bike 3

Recumbent Cargo Bike 3

Finally found my seat: an old office chair! I cut the legs off and welded on a bicycle seat post. At first it was able to recline back, but that feature proved to make the bicycle unrideable because the seat would recline if even the smallest force was applied to the pedals…

Maximum style points, if you will:

I had to weld on the handlebars because there was just not enough room for a stem… Hopefully the bars never bend!

To attach the ball joints for the steering linkage, I welded bolts to the bars and the fork:

Finally finished with fabrication!

Time to paint!

Most of my welds looked decent after a good painting!

 The final product! With chains, components, cargo bay wrapping, and all! Nessy rides surprisingly well. It is a little difficult to get going because of the nature of a recumbent, but once moving, she hanndles well at slower than walking speeds and at high cruising speeds. The steering is responsive and there doesn’t seem to be any noticeable play in the remote steering. The chair is like a dream. Once going, you just slump back and sink in. You let your arms dangle at the bars and just cruise around.

Recumbent Cargo Bike 2

Recumbent Cargo Bike 2

Next on the bike, I welded the upper half of the cargo rails along with the vertical tubes between.

Then I added in the lower bottom bracket. This is so that the chain line can change direction to go from the pedals to the bottom bracket jackshaft to the wheels.

Finally added the wheels to make Nessy actually look like a bicycle!

Then I welded on the main bottom bracket and attached pedals:

Recumbent Cargo Bike 1

Recumbent Cargo Bike 1

Here are some photos of the fabrication of my recumbent cargo bicycle. I selected the front end of a women’s frame and the rear triangle of a suspension frame and began by first connecting them together with a long bottom tube. But first, here is the CAD model and the drawing I made to work from:

Then I began the cargo box construction with the side rails of the lower portion. I mitered some tubing and welded it at 45 degrees, then attached that section to the frame, followed by the rear tube at 45 degrees. Then I made the other half.

Then I put in the vertical tube that connects the top and down tubes of the front half.

Bicycle Rainbow

Bicycle Rainbow

The Upham house needed a grand entrance way. Public review has been overwhelmingly positive so far =D. Almost everyone who walks or bikes by compliments us or stops to take a photo!

Before:

After:

Painted:

The process:

My welds are improving!

Moving it from the backyard to the frontyard in the night. We barely made it through the driveway!

Little red had to take a hit in order to get the rainbow up…

Welding it into place in the night, I stayed up until 3AM!

The morning after we cleaned up the yard and planted a new garden:

Arman beginning to paint the rainbow:

Little Red still making a cameo appearance:

Completion!